Last week I got a call from one of my patients, who conceived after long period of infertility. She called me to remind me that, that very days was the birthday of her son, that is the wealth that she gained after long battle. And even the son tried to talk to me over phone with his soft voice. And this success is really rewarding for any Infertility Specialists.
Now, the inability to conceive- INFERTILITY, the problem is prevalent in our society and is increasing. But majority of common people don’t have clear idea about the concept of fertility and the problems. Ability to have pregnancy depends on many factors both in male and female. Even in a normal couple (where both husband and wife are totally normal), there is chance of pregnancy if they practise regular intercourse in a particular time of the menstrual cycle (around ovulation). And even with that, the best chance is only 15-20%. But within one year of regular trying, 80% of couples manage to conceive. And out the rest 20%, 10 will conceive within next one year and the rest 5 in 3rd year. So, ultimately 5% of couple will have difficulty in conception.
So, we advise, if you tried regularly for one year and there is no pregnancy, don’t get depressed. It may be due to some defects in husband, wife or both; or may be due to chance factor. But we have to make sure that there is no defect in any of the partners. If there is any defect, we will treat that. If no defect is found, then we have to increase the chance.
So, infertility treatment is actually based on stepwise manner. We initially advise some tests and then advise a treatment. If that treatment fails, we move to next treatment.
So, all the time, you have to keep patience. Eventually, majority of the couples will conceive. Don’t give up hope. You have to win the race ultimately